Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal reaffirmed on Monday (18) that he plans to end his career in 2024, after a period of eight months away due to two surgeries to treat psoas injuries. “I mentioned that 2024 will probably be my last year. I maintain that view, although I cannot confirm it with absolute certainty, as I am not yet sure,” declared Nadal during an interview with the Movistar+ network.
On May 18, Nadal announced that his psoas injury, which occurred during the Australian Open in January, had led him to consider “the end” of his career before officially saying goodbye to the tour in 2024. “This is my plan: to try end and possibly face the last year of my sporting career with the guarantee of at least being able to enjoy it”, added the Spanish tennis player. Nadal reiterated today his desire to return to the courts and regain his competitiveness.
“My purpose is this: to seek a break and, quite possibly, face the last year of my sporting career with the certainty of enjoying it”, added the Spanish tennis player.
Nadal reaffirmed this Monday that he “looks forward to competing again and regaining his competitiveness.” “What motivates me is to return to the game and be competitive,” said Nadal, revealing that he underwent surgery on his psoas and hip a few months ago. The Spanish tennis player also commented on the dispute with Novak Djokovic to become the athlete with the most Grand Slam titles, expressing the conviction that it would be “more frustrating” for the Serb than for him not to achieve this feat. “Would I like to be the tennis player with the most Grand Slam titles in history? Of course. In sport, we try to be the best we can. But it wasn’t an obsession. It doesn’t cause me frustration,” said Nadal, holder of 22 Grand Slam titles.